Rory Power is a discovery of a year for me. I will read anything she writes and here are a few reasons why you should read her debut novel Wilder Girls as well.
- Strong female characters. Hetty, Byatt and Reese are seriously next level characters. They do not need saving, prince charming is not there to get them out of trouble. As there are no male characters. Okay, there are two, but they are not important.
- Pandemic. Or is it the end of the world? I have no idea. You are there, reading chapter after chapter and wondering what is happening. What is Tox? Where is the rest of the world? How come they cannot leave the island?
- Love story. Well sort of. Romance is not the key to saving the world. It does not make anyone better. Also, queer.
- Gritty. If this were a movie, it would be a creature feature with a lot of gore.
- The prettiest cover ever. Okay, this one is not important for a story, but you have to admit that you would buy this book for the cover alone.
Rory Power is coming back with a new novel Burn Our Bodies Down on July 7th and we can only tell you that it is as exciting to read as Wilder Girls.
In the meantime, while you are waiting for it, check out our interview with Rory Power here.