L. C. Rosen, also known as Lev Rosen, has written several books for adults and children, but this novel is his YA debut. His books have been featured on numerous Best of the Year lists and nominated for several awards. He lives in New York City with his husband and a very small cat.
Pretty Little Liars meets Dan Savage in this modern, fresh, YA debut about an unapologetically queer teen working to uncover a blackmailer threatening him back into the closet.
Jack has a lot of sex–and he’s not ashamed of it. While he’s sometimes ostracized, and gossip constantly rages about his sex life, Jack always believes that “it could be worse.”
But then, the worse unexpectedly strikes: When Jack starts writing a teen sex advice column for an online site, he begins to receive creepy and threatening love letters that attempt to force Jack to curb his sexuality and personality. Now it’s up to Jack and his best friends to uncover the stalker–before their love becomes dangerous.
Ground-breaking and page-turning, Jack of Hearts (and other parts) celebrates the freedom to be oneself, especially in the face of adversity.
WHY YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK?
– COMMERCIAL PLOT: This commercial storyline is part thriller, part mystery, set in a contemporary world and life as the main character struggles to discover who amongst his friends and community is threatening him with creepy love letters.
– SEX POSITIVITY: The frank, honest, and funny conversations and portrayals of sex fits with the millennial, cultural shift and focus on sex positivity and health.
– EDUCATIONAL NOTES: Can be used to discuss sexuality, sex education, and queer identity.
– QUEER THEMES: The main character is openly gay, and navigates a contemporary world of what it means to be a queer millennial teen, without turning into an overwritten story of tragedy; teens who enjoy the refreshing non-tragic queer story lines of comps such as Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda and The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue will appreciate Jack of Hearts (and other parts) as well.
- Imprint: Penguin
- Published: 07/02/2019
- ISBN: 9780241365014
- Length: 368 Pages
- More about : https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/311163/jack-of-hearts–and-other-parts-/9780241365014.html